Tomorrow’s Warriors is a leading talent development organisation, creative producer, learning and training provider, consultancy and charity specialising in jazz. Founded in 1991, we help aspiring young artists discover their magic, nurture nascent talent, achieve creative ambitions, and build engaged, diverse audiences.
We champion diversity, inclusion and equality. Whilst inclusive, our pioneering Young Artist Development Programme primarily supports the early careers of young musicians, with a focus on Black musicians, female musicians and those whose financial or other circumstances might lock them out of opportunities to pursue a career in the music industry.
Over almost three decades, Tomorrow’s Warriors has proved a crucial development platform for many of the artists now tearing up the international jazz scene – Moses Boyd, Nubya Garcia, Cassie Kinoshi and Nérija, Femi Koleoso and Ezra Collective, Binker Golding, Shabaka Hutchings and Sons Of Kemet, Cherise Adams-Burnett, Eska, Denys Baptiste, Soweto Kinch, Zara McFarlane, and so many more…
Tomorrow’s Warriors is acclaimed for having established a robust, essential pipeline for outstanding, diverse young talent and for being pivotal in changing the face of jazz in the UK.
Last year we had:
- 600 learning sessions
- 185 students on core programme
- 25 students on conservatoire/HE courses
- 115 concerts and public performances
- 63 professional musicians employed
- 755 days employment for artists
- 8 world premieres of new music commissions
- 32,200 live audience
- 300,000+ broadcast audience
- 28 partnerships
- 54 participating schools nationally
- 718 national outreach students
We are proud to be a National Portfolio Organisation of Arts Council England and a PRS Foundation Talent Development Partner.
“Can’t overstate the impact Tomorrow’s Warriors has had on the current music scene in London.” Gilles Peterson, BBC Radio 6 Music
“If you want to know who passed through their doors, it might just be easier to ask who didn’t: the list is long and comprehensive.” Emma Warren, Red Bull Academy
“This a cultural giant, a music making dream team, with generosity at their heart.”Cerys Matthews, BBC Radio 6 Music“No single organisation has exerted a more profound or beneficial influence on jazz in Britain than Tomorrow’s Warriors.” Richard Williams, The Blue Moment.
Led by our award-winning co-founders, Artistic Director Dr Gary Crosby OBE and Chief Executive Janine Irons OBE FRSA, we create and produce an incredibly varied annual programme ranging from workshops and showcases for young musicians to concerts and tours for established professional bands/orchestras in partnership with an extensive network of local, national and international arts organisations, commercial producers, venues, promoters and festivals.
We are resident at Southbank Centre, London delivering a unique programme comprising learning and participation, artist development and professional performances. In addition to our core programmes we offer a range of bespoke music education programmes in schools, arts venues and community centres across the UK and internationally. Tomorrow’s Warriors is a National Portfolio Organisation of Arts Council England and a PRS Foundation Talent Development Partner.
Our development programmes focus on the ongoing development of individuals in the following groups:
- Junior Warriors (11-15 yrs)
- Youth Warriors (Intermediate) (15-19 yrs)
- Youth Warriors (Advanced) (15-19 yrs)
- Female Collective (15-25 yrs)
- JazzStrings (15-25 yrs)
- Young Composers & Arrangers (15-25 yrs)
We are also home to the Nu Civilisation Orchestra – our professional touring orchestra featuring past and present Warriors.
In addition to our core development programmes:
- We deliver a diverse range of bespoke jazz education programmes in partnership with a host of local, national and international music/arts education partners, and are members of a number of Music Education Hubs in the UK.
- We produce and present professional concerts and events in partnership with our extensive network of local, national and international venues, promoters and festivals.
We are proud to be a truly multicultural company as reflected in our artists, students, audiences, supporters, partners and staff and staff.