Love Music? Gotta Learn Jazz
Tomorrow’s Warriors invites young musicians to come along to the Southbank Centre, London to join our Young Artist Development Programme.
We are looking for enthusiastic young musicians to join our programme and because our sessions are completely free, there’s no need to worry about the cost. We run sessions every weekend during the school term, and you can find details of the sessions below. To check if we can offer you a place, just drop us a line. We’d love to hear from you, and there’s never been a better time to join in.
New to Tomorrow’s Warriors?
Our award-winning Artistic Director, Gary Crosby OBE heads our Young Artist Development Programme supported by a fabulous team of inspirational music leaders who are themselves active professional jazz artists. They’ve all been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt, the postcard, and a bag load of first hand experience to pass on to you about life as a jazz musician (they’re living it every day of the week after all)! All of our core music leaders have themselves come through the Tomorrow’s Warriors programme and will do their best to help you feel right at home from day one.
We meet in the Royal Festival Hall at Southbank Centre, Belvedere Road, SE1 8XX
- 10.00am – 12.00pm – Junior Warriors (aged 11-15) – Led by Dian Gasper (Jazz Jamaica, Denys Baptiste), these sessions focus on learning basic jazz techniques – scales, chords, arpeggios, and improvisation. We learn some jazz repertoire (‘jazz standards’), and work on building confidence when soloing. You’ll meet lots of other young people who are also getting to grips with jazz and you may also get to join one of our hip Junior Warriors bands.
- 12.00pm – 2.00pm – Development Group (aged 15-18) – We’ve designed these sessions to develop and stretch our regular intermediate participants. Peter Edwards (Zara McFarlane, Nu Civilisation Orchestra) heads up this session where you’ll learn advanced improvisation concepts and tackle some more challenging repertoire. Committed members of this group will have the opportunity of progressing into the Tomorrow’s Warriors Youth Ensemble, and possibly be invited to perform with the Tomorrow’s Warriors Youth Orchestra.
Other slots throughout the weekend are by invitation only and this is when we concentrate on our flagship groups – Tomorrow’s Warriors Youth Orchestra; Tomorrow’s Warriors Female Collective, where our female musicians get together to ‘shed’ with their mentor, Tomorrow’s StringTing, our new jazz strings ensemble; or one of our other ensembles like our Junior Band, our Youth Ensemble, or our Emerging Artists.
As well as the Development Sessions, Tomorrow’s Warriors offers other fantastic opportunities for young musicians including:
- Masterclasses with leading jazz artists, including visiting international jazz stars
- Jam sessions and public performances
- Participation in Tomorrow’s Warriors ensembles, including our Junior Warriors Band, TW Youth Ensemble, Tomorrow’s Warriors Youth Orchestra, Tomorrow’s Warriors StringTing, our new jazz string ensemble and possibly our professional band, the Nu Civilisation Orchestra
- Collaboration with young people from other art forms
- Opportunities for accreditation through Arts Award
- For those who want to learn about the business of music, we also offer work experience opportunities
So, don’t be shy, and don’t be a stranger! If you think Tomorrow’s Warriors is the place for you, come along to the Southbank Centre and check out what we have to offer, but do please get in touch with us first!